Noisy Real User Monitoring (RUM) data can ruin your P99! We introduce a fresh concept called “Human Visible Navigations” (HVN) to tackle this risk; we focus on the experiences you actually care about when talking about the speed of our sites:
- Human: We exclude noise coming from bots and synthetic measurements.
- Visible: We remove any partial or fully hidden experiences. These tend to be very slow but users don’t see this slowness.
- Navigations: We ignore lightning-fast back-forward navigations which usually have few optimization opportunities.
Adopting Human Visible Navigations provides you with these key benefits:
- Fewer changes staying below the radar
- Fewer data fluctuations
- Fewer blind spots when finding bottlenecks
- Better correlation with business metrics
This is supported by plenty of real-world examples coming from the world’s largest scale modeling site (6M Monthly visits) in combination with aggregated data from the brand new rumarchive.com (open source). After attending this session; your P99 and other percentiles will become less noisy and easier to tune!